Welcome to The Murphy Show!

Share the life, love and craziness of the Murphy's!

About Me

My photo
Dallas, TX
I'm a wife, a mom, a dog owner, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a spaz, a dreamer, an optimist, a procrastinator, a nerd lover, a food nazi, a fixer, a hippie reincarnate and a human.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Goodbye Spike

Yesterday was not a good day for us. Our baby Boston, Spike Jones, had to be put down. He was lethargic, had labored breathing and started peeing blood. Matt rushed him to the vet yesterday and they ran a bunch of tests on him and determined that his heart was enlarged and said he had congestive heart failure. They ran blood tests on him and sent him home last night, but his condition got so much worse in a span of hours. We rushed him back up to the ER vet and they said his lungs were filling up with fluid, his heart rate was highly elevated and he was having a difficult time breathing. He was in pain. They said they could do exploratory surgery, but couldn't guarantee that whatever they found could be treated. It was apparent that his health was rapidly deteriorating. We debated the situation for awhile and came to the conclusion he had to be put down. It was very peaceful when he went, but I am so heartbroken, because he was so young. He was only 4 years old. He was such a good dog...so sweet and loving and faithful. I'll miss him so much. We got a call this morning from the lab and they said he had cancer, so this was the right thing to do. He would not have had any quality of life if we opted to get treatment for him, if he was even treatable. Even though we both feel like we made the right decision, it just doesn't take the heartache away. I know our other 2 dogs suspect something is wrong, as they keep pacing around the house looking for him. Dilly immediately went into his kennel last night and slept there. She knows he's gone. My dear, sweet, lovable baby will be sorely missed, but I know he's in a better place and with no pain. I love you so much, my Baby Spike.









3 comments:

  1. Oh Amber, I am so, so sorry. I am in tears now, not just for you all but also because I lost George three weeks ago. He was with me for 15 years, had some health issues then all of a sudden, within like 24 hours, his body began to shutdown. It was devastating and the hardest thing I ever had to do (much harder than natural childbirth, even). My heart goes out to you and Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys did the right thing. sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to read this...my love goes to you and Matt...doing the right thing can still be so painful but he was very much loved..

    ReplyDelete